Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Real: Documentary of a Superhero

So, after years of intermitient writing and thought, Real: Documentary of a Superhero is, for all intents and purposes, done (the "all intents and purposes" inferring that, yes, there's still a little technical stuff to work out). It's been a long time coming, but it's so nice to see the film playing on my little Final Cut window. For a time, I thought I'd never see it happen, but there it is; there's Jake Lamb running around in too-tight tights, perpetuating his sub-par heriocs and atypical life-views.

I'm really happy with the way it came together, as happy as someone who has watched the damn thing a hundred times can be. There comes a point during editing wherein the editor becomes"numb" to any effect the content may have (especially if that editor is also the writer, director, composer, colorist, etc...). I still like it, love it, even, but I'm looking forward to seeing what effect it has on other people, because honestly, I don't know anymore. I think it works as a short-film, but I lost the ability to judge my own work somewhere around the 73rd time I viewed it. I've reached the point where upon viewing the movie, I no longer think about "story beats" or "comprehensive flow." Rather, I'm concerned with whether or not the sky should be a darker shade, or if some shakers should be added to the background audio. Boring stuff, is what I'm talking about.


But, come Friday (my last major editing day!), I'll be burning the movie to DVD and getting ready for the first screening on Saturday morning. I'm looking forward to it; hopefully watching it with other people will be like watching it for the first time. Maybe I'll be able to see it from a fresh persepctive, energized by the surrounding audience, most of whom will be seeing it for the first time.


And hopefully that damn sky will be the right shade of blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment